During this time of Social Distancing, most of the Farmers' Markets around Kauai have come to a screeching hault. Through various sources I have provided below a quick updated schedule for open farmers' markets, alternative CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) programs, as well as additional options.
Open Farmers' Markets
- Anahola Farmers Hui Market – Wednesdays (starting April 1st) & Sundays, 10a-2p
Hokulele Rd., Anahola, HI 96703
- Waimea Farmer’s Market – Thursdays, 3:30p-5:30p
Hale Puna, Huakai Rd, Waimea, HI 96796
- Anaina Hou Pick-up Market – Fridays 4p-6p
- Moloa’a Organica’a, Midnight Bear Bakery, Fehring Farms and David Whatmore will be accepting cash, cards or mobile payments so you can purchase on site.
Try Eat Hawai'i
Recently opened Try Eat Hawai'i is Kauai's newest online farmers' market platform connecting farmers and consumers directly during this time. With an ability to arrange pick up or delivery, the developer, Matthew Oliver, provides a one-stop place to find your local farmers and their produce.
Community Supported Agriculture
For over 25 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer.
Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of “shares” to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a “membership” or a “subscription”) and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season.
Malama Kauai has done an excellent job piecing together the latest information on Farmers Markets currently open, where to purchase local meats, retail outlets carrying local produce, and various CSA Deliveries. Be sure to check out their website for a complete list!
Kauai's Local CSAs:
- Kauai Glory Farm – Monkeypod Jam is hosting this CSA Monday – Saturday; pick up or delivery to the South Side. This partnership offers Glory Farm produce, Monkeypod Jam preserves, and their bistro items for family dinners.
- Kauai Farm Connection – Offering island-wide delivery and pick-up points. Weekly subscriptions start at $35.
- Āina Hoʻokupu O Kīlauea’s (AHK’s) – Located at the Kilauea Community Ag. Center on Kilauea Rd. Farmers Market Boxes are now available for pick-up. Vegetable Boxes are available for $20 and Fruit Boxes are available for $10 from 8 local farmers. Bring your own container or bag. Hours: Monday – Saturday, 10am – 6pm.
- Kauai Kunana Dairy – specializing in fresh goat cheese and diary products, the Kunana Dairy farm, located in Kilauea, is offering CSA Produce Boxes and a la carte' products. Order by Wednesday to receive your delivery by Saturday. I got my 2 sweet goats from here – they're the best!
The island offers various Fruit Stands working on honor systems. Local farmers regularly add products, so be sure to stop by and check them out when you see them. To start, visit the Fehring Family Farm stand, the Moloa'a Sunrise Fruit Stand, and the Waiakalua Fruit Stand.
Kapuna Kare of Farmer Fare
Malama Kauai and Hawaii Foodbank Kapuna developed a program to help benefit our Kupuna (elderly) and farmers. The program will acquire produce from our County Sunshine Market Farmers to distribute to our high risk Kapuna throughout the island, for approximately 8 weeks, with the help from our team at Elderly Affairs.
To prevent the spread of disease, the program has been designed as drop off only with no interaction between deliverer and the recipient.
If you're 70 years or older and would like to participate, please call 808-241-4470. If you're a Sunshine Market farmer and would like to participate, please call 808-241-4299.
Help Our Local Restaurants
While fresh, local produce is essential to our everyday lives, many restaurants are adapting to the times offering pick-up/carryout or delivery. Introducing Food-A-Go-Go; a FREE statewide service offering the latest information on which restaurants remain open, select the island of Kauai to view our current options. If you own or know a restaurant owner who would like to participate, submit an inquiry HERE.
County of Kauai: Food Providers
The County of Kauai has partnered with the Kauai Chamber to make it easier for residents to locate restaurants, grocery and convenience stores, and nonprofit food providers that are offering take out, delivery, and drive through service using an easy to navigate interactive map. Food providers can sign up easily HERE.
Hawaii Grinds @ Home
Built by some savvy-locals, Hawaii Grinds @ Home is a crowd-sourced directory of open restaurants. The free site was built purely upon public submissions and currently has more than 200 restaurants in the directory across four islands. Submit an independent restaurant HERE.
Short disclaimer: This is by no means a final list – Kauai is adapting and changing day by day, hour by hour. Please feel free to add additional options in the comment section below. We're in this together!
Be safe, stay healthy, and although Kauai is “on vacation”, we're worth the wait and we'll see you again soon!
A Quarantined Kauai – Release March 20, 2020
LIV Kauai's COVID-19 Resource Page – Released March 18, 2020
What’s Your Hawai’i Life?
Follow Me Socially
Be sure to join my Kauai Life with COVID-19 Facebook Page for updates.